About Me

My photo

Former editor in chief of an award winning publication, avid outdoorsman, love hiking, kayaking, fishing, biking, visiting state parks, published writer, avid drinker, certified bartender, beer rater and I ran a bar tending school, and blogger writing under title of the Man Can Critic 

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

5/28/12 Michelobs Original Lager

Memorial Day is finally here and kicking off summertime has been the plan for the weekend and one of the beers I chose to kick off my summer with was Michelobs Original Lager. I had tons of activities I did this weekend which included drinking some beers that were previously not on my list and I figured I'd do mini reviews of the three I hadn't reviewed. Overall this weekend so far I had a Michelob Original Lager, Bud Light Lime, Yuengling Light, Ommegang Three Philosipher, a Miller Light, and I tried some of my sisters Sam Adams Summer Ale. The first two I had at Uncle Cones on Saturday night with my brother, sister, future brother-in-law and a former colleague of mine. I can't remember for sure if this was my first Michelob Original Lager or not but I was surprised that it wasn't that bad. It was a decent representation of a lager with a thickness that seemed more on the porter side but without the porter taste. I had it right out of the bottle and it had a taste different from anything I have had in the past couple of months. I couldn't quite put my finger on what the exact flavor was but it was pretty decent. Overall it was on the bottom of the three that I had that were new but still not a bad beer. I had a little of the Sam Adams Summer Ale at a Family reunion on Saturday. The Summer Ale and the Three Philosophers were both pretty good and I would rate them both pretty equally. The Summer Ale was good and something I would definitely consider a good cook out beer and the Three Philosophers would have been better out of a glass than drinking out of a bottle but I was grilling and the bottle was more convenient so it just worked. Overall It was a good weekend with some pretty decent beers. Thanks for reading and as always drink responsibly.

Information I got from Michelob's Website




Michelob Original Lager is a malty, full-bodied European-style premium lager. From its inception to today, it stands out as a distinctive, high-quality beer for connoisseurs.
Our Original Lager is brewed traditionally, using European noble aroma hop varieties and a 100-percent-malt blend of the finest two-row and caramel malts. It is fermented and aged with our classic lager yeast strain, and cold-matured for balanced crispness.
Taste: Spice, citrus, round malt character, hints of caramel and toffee, balanced and complex hop flavor. Style: European-style premium lager.
Ideally serve in a Pint Glass

CRAFT FACTS

ABV: 5.0%, IBU: 18

Information from Ommegang Website

Three Philosophers is a unique blend of a Belgian-style strong dark ale and Liefmans Kriek, an authentic cherry ale from Belgium. Cherry chestnut in color, it's opaque but not cloudy with full carbonation topped by a smooth, tan head. Flavors and aromas of roasted malt, molasses and brown sugar, dark fruits, brandied raisins and chocolate, Three Philosophers has notable sweetness with low hop bitterness. The mid-palate shows a soft malt center which gives way to a dry, warm, wine-like finish.
The strength and complexity of this beer make it a good candidate for ageing gracefully, as spicy sherry and port notes should intensify.

When simply pairing this it is important to keep in mind that you need a dish that is going to stand up to the big alcohol, rich malt, and subtle cherry. Think hearty; stews, fatty meats, gooey, stinky cheese, and you cannot go wrong. Try this beer as a marinade or in a sauce. In a marinade, the alcohol naturally breaks down the proteins in the meat, tenderizing it, while the flavor of the beer is absorbed. For a sauce, simply reduce over low flame with some additional sour cherries, wait till half is reduced, season with salt, pepper and sugar plus a touch of cream and you are ready to go.



Information from Sam Adams Web Site
Flavor: Crisp, tangy, and refreshing. Slight citrus and spicy flavor
Color: Golden with a slight veil, 6 SRMOriginal Gravity: 12.3° PlatoAlcohol by Vol/Wt: 5.3%ABV - 4.1%ABW
Calories/12 oz.: 166
IBUs: 7
Malt Varieties: Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend and malted wheat
Hop Variety: Hallertau Mittelfrueh Noble hops
Special Ingredients: Lemons and Grains of Paradise
Yeast Strain: Samuel Adams ale yeast
Availability: Seasonal (April - August)
First Brewed: 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment