Tuesday, May 29, 2012

5/28/12 Michelobs Original Lager

Memorial Day is finally here and kicking off summertime has been the plan for the weekend and one of the beers I chose to kick off my summer with was Michelobs Original Lager. I had tons of activities I did this weekend which included drinking some beers that were previously not on my list and I figured I'd do mini reviews of the three I hadn't reviewed. Overall this weekend so far I had a Michelob Original Lager, Bud Light Lime, Yuengling Light, Ommegang Three Philosipher, a Miller Light, and I tried some of my sisters Sam Adams Summer Ale. The first two I had at Uncle Cones on Saturday night with my brother, sister, future brother-in-law and a former colleague of mine. I can't remember for sure if this was my first Michelob Original Lager or not but I was surprised that it wasn't that bad. It was a decent representation of a lager with a thickness that seemed more on the porter side but without the porter taste. I had it right out of the bottle and it had a taste different from anything I have had in the past couple of months. I couldn't quite put my finger on what the exact flavor was but it was pretty decent. Overall it was on the bottom of the three that I had that were new but still not a bad beer. I had a little of the Sam Adams Summer Ale at a Family reunion on Saturday. The Summer Ale and the Three Philosophers were both pretty good and I would rate them both pretty equally. The Summer Ale was good and something I would definitely consider a good cook out beer and the Three Philosophers would have been better out of a glass than drinking out of a bottle but I was grilling and the bottle was more convenient so it just worked. Overall It was a good weekend with some pretty decent beers. Thanks for reading and as always drink responsibly.

Information I got from Michelob's Website




Michelob Original Lager is a malty, full-bodied European-style premium lager. From its inception to today, it stands out as a distinctive, high-quality beer for connoisseurs.
Our Original Lager is brewed traditionally, using European noble aroma hop varieties and a 100-percent-malt blend of the finest two-row and caramel malts. It is fermented and aged with our classic lager yeast strain, and cold-matured for balanced crispness.
Taste: Spice, citrus, round malt character, hints of caramel and toffee, balanced and complex hop flavor. Style: European-style premium lager.
Ideally serve in a Pint Glass

CRAFT FACTS

ABV: 5.0%, IBU: 18

Information from Ommegang Website

Three Philosophers is a unique blend of a Belgian-style strong dark ale and Liefmans Kriek, an authentic cherry ale from Belgium. Cherry chestnut in color, it's opaque but not cloudy with full carbonation topped by a smooth, tan head. Flavors and aromas of roasted malt, molasses and brown sugar, dark fruits, brandied raisins and chocolate, Three Philosophers has notable sweetness with low hop bitterness. The mid-palate shows a soft malt center which gives way to a dry, warm, wine-like finish.
The strength and complexity of this beer make it a good candidate for ageing gracefully, as spicy sherry and port notes should intensify.

When simply pairing this it is important to keep in mind that you need a dish that is going to stand up to the big alcohol, rich malt, and subtle cherry. Think hearty; stews, fatty meats, gooey, stinky cheese, and you cannot go wrong. Try this beer as a marinade or in a sauce. In a marinade, the alcohol naturally breaks down the proteins in the meat, tenderizing it, while the flavor of the beer is absorbed. For a sauce, simply reduce over low flame with some additional sour cherries, wait till half is reduced, season with salt, pepper and sugar plus a touch of cream and you are ready to go.



Information from Sam Adams Web Site
Flavor: Crisp, tangy, and refreshing. Slight citrus and spicy flavor
Color: Golden with a slight veil, 6 SRMOriginal Gravity: 12.3° PlatoAlcohol by Vol/Wt: 5.3%ABV - 4.1%ABW
Calories/12 oz.: 166
IBUs: 7
Malt Varieties: Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend and malted wheat
Hop Variety: Hallertau Mittelfrueh Noble hops
Special Ingredients: Lemons and Grains of Paradise
Yeast Strain: Samuel Adams ale yeast
Availability: Seasonal (April - August)
First Brewed: 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment