Saturday, August 11, 2012

8/11/12 Yuengling Oktoberfest

Earlier this week I had gotten a case of Yuengling Oktoberfest at Brewer's Outlet in Pottsville. All this week I have been having one a night and now I finally got around to having one out of a glass and taking pictures. Also over the course of the week I have been talking to a lot of people about prices around town and found out that Brewer's is incredibly cheaper than the other prices sometimes almost half as much as what others are charging. For those of you who don't know this is the first year Yuengling is offering their Oktoberfest in bottles. I am extremely happy about this because it was the only Yuengling beer that I haven't had and I don't get out much to sample it any other way. I had this fine beer at 53.4 degrees in a Guinness pint glass that I got on clearance at K Mart this past week. The head was small at about 1/2" and it dissipated quickly and had virtually no head lacing. The head color was off white with a fizzing appearance. The clarity was normal with an amber color. The aroma was a roasted barley with a taste that mirrored that with hints of grain. The flavor was light with an average finish length and a dry mouth feel. The tongue hit was towards the front with virtually no body lacing. Overall I would consider this an excellent interpretation of this style and a great addition to the Yuengling family of beers. This beer makes me proud to be from Pottsville and everything Yuengling makes is great and easy to drink. Thanks for reading and as always drink responsibly.

8/15/13 Update: This year shipments of Yuengling Oktoberfest have made it into various local distributors. So check with your favorite beer buying destination and pick up a case.
8/16/13 Update: These are the states where Yuelgling is currently distributed Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Alabama




15 comments:

  1. ok, i can ignore the Christmas decorations in Walmart that show up in October, but putting out an Octoberfest in AUGUST! I'm shocked, and ashamed. i want to try it, but not until the weather is out of the 80's every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mongoose,

      Uh, that's when Oktoberfest beers are released dude (August-October)not just October.

      Delete
    2. I think a lot of people are still learning about beer seasons and its going to take a while for everyone to get a full grasp of the seasons.

      Delete
  2. Typically I would agree but this is the time when Oktoberfest usually come out. I do think the weather is a bit hot for such a full bodied beer but even so I really was looking forward to it coming out and I will probably save a six pack to drink in October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you wait until October to buy an Oktoberfest beer you're going to be out of luck. They start to arrive in distributors mid August and most are sold out by the first week of October. Sad, but I worked at a PA beer distributor for over 3 years and that's how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuengling arrived at Brewer's at the end of July.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i picked this up just the other day as i was curious, i enjoyed their bock style beer they have been releasing in the winter and wanted something local at a value. i will be trying to will myself to sit on it until closer to october and november, but will probably pick up another case at this price. it's nice to have these for thanksgiving too. also, i haven't seen them in six packs and no one seems to know for sure how much they're putting out this year, as has been stated, this is year one for bottling of this beer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right here is the perfect webpage for anyone who hopes to understand this topic.
    You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not
    that I personally would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand
    new spin on a topic which has been discussed for
    years. Excellent stuff, just excellent!
    My webpage :: diets that work fast

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen them in six packs either but if I do I will post where to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen the yuengling octoberfest in six packs at wegmans! Had to get one, very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Which Wegmans did you find it at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister's Cantina mexican restaurant in tamaqua carries the six packs. However, I was told they get it in on a Wednesday and sell out fast.

      Delete
  10. Good to know thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your use of the word "roasty" in the original description should be changed to "toasty." There is no roast in this beer!

    Cheers!
    ~Adam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes just a typo that slipped through the cracks. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete