Wednesday, August 14, 2013

8/14/13 Susquehanna Brewing Company Pils-Noir

I figured it has been a long time since I last posted and it was about time that I started writing again. This time my goal is to write once a week and not to over do it. I am going to focus on new beers that I try and like and want to share with people who read this blog. 
So in getting back to blogging I figured I would write about Susquehanna Brewing Companies Pils-Noir. I got a variety pack from Weis in Pottsville about a week ago and have tried both the Pils-Noir and the Goldencold Lager. My wife and I both liked the Pils-Noir so I figured I would write about that.

I figured I would add a little something new this time when I wrote this entry. Hopefully from now on I will add a little history about the company. This brewer is another Pennsylvania brewery which I love because it is somewhere close to me so I have the opportunity to visit it. Here are some facts about the brewery that I found interesting and on their web site. Charles Stegmaier along with his father-in-law, George Baer, founded the Baer and Stegmaier Brewing Co. of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania in 1857. On February 14, 1898, the company was renamed the Susquehanna Brewing Co. he Susquehanna Brewing Co. operated until 1920, when it closed its door due to prohibition. On November 10, 2010, Ed Maier, Mark Nobile, and Ed’s son J. Fred, formed the Susquehanna Brewing Co., Pittston, Pa. Here is their mission and vision statements which I thought were pretty cool. Their mission statement is Susquehanna Brewing Company delivers prosperity and enjoyment to our Northeastern Pennsylvania (NEPA) customers and consumers through our quality, craft beers made locally in an environmentally responsible fashion. Their Vision statement is To have Susquehanna Brewing Company brew some of the most sought after craft beers in Pennsylvania with a reputation that extends nation-wide, make our Pittston brewery a ‘must-see’ place of pride in our community, and enhance the stature of NEPA.


I had the Pils-Noir in a pilsener glass at a nice 55.3 degree temperature. I paired it with steak, a baked potato, and some broccoli which it went very nicely with. Neither the flavor of the dish nor the beer over powered the other. The beer had a nice pour that produced about a 3" frothy light brown head. The head lacing was good and the head dissipated slowly. It had a medium carbonation with normal clarity and a ruby color. The beer exuded a floral aroma with hints of biscuit and grain. The taste as near as a I can describe was buttery with a hint of bourbon.  The first time I had it I remember a more smokey flavor but this time it had very little in the way of smokiness. I will say that the first time I had it it was at a temperature closer to 32 degrees. However, I thought it had a more easy going taste at the warmer temperature. It was very smooth and went down very easily. The flavor was light and the finish length was average with a watery mouth feel. The beer hit the tongue towards the back and it had good body lacing. Overall I thought it was a really great beer that I will definitely enjoy having again shortly provided my wife does not have the last one. Thanks for reading and as always drink responsibly.

Cost of beer: $17.99 for variety 12 pack (Goldencold Lager, Pils-Noir, and 6th Generation Stock Ale, and Hopfive IPA)
Food Pairings: German Cuisine
Glassware: Flute, Pilsner
Tour Information: Susquehanna Brewing Company offers a  free tour (Handicap-accessible) Friday at 5:00 p.m. and Saturday at 2:00 p.m. They also welcome groups by scheduled appointment. 

brewing company
pilsnoir

Information from the Susquehanna Brewing Company Website
We are pleased to share our innovative black Pilsner, Pils-Noir. Made from Pearl (Winter) barley, malted for us by Munton’s, CaraMalt and Crystal malts, prepared using our unique, husk-free milling process. We then naturally darken the beer using the classic Czech technique of decoction mashing. Hopped with Oregon Willamette, Mt. Hood and Washington hops, and finished with noble Czech Saaz for a fine aroma.
33 IBU’S 4.9% ABV













No comments:

Post a Comment