About Me

My photo

Former editor in chief of an award winning publication, avid outdoorsman, love hiking, kayaking, fishing, biking, visiting state parks, published writer, avid drinker, certified bartender, beer rater and I ran a bar tending school, and blogger writing under title of the Man Can Critic 

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

2/27/12 Magic Hat +/-

So last night after doing some resistance training and finishing the book I have been reading I decided to reward myself with a Magic Hat +/- that I got from a colleague at work. The temperature of the beer was at a freezing 25.3 degrees. I believe I let it in the freezer a tad to long but I thought it was only around 30 minutes so I didn't think it was going to get that cold. I do wish I would have just left it in the fridge though. The head was huge at around 4" with a foamy appearance and a medium color. The head lacing was excellent and the head dissipated slowly. The carbonation was fizzy and it had a normal clarity with a copper color. The taste was that of burnt grain which sounds like it wasn't a good taste but it was really good although I don't know what was up with my nose but I couldn't really detect any aroma to the brew. The flavor was moderate with an average finish length and a watery mouth feel. The tongue hit was towards the middle and the body lacing was excellent. Overall this was an excellent beer and I gave it an A- only because of my issue with it coming to such a could temperature so quickly that I couldn't really experience the true flavor of the beer. Thanks for reading and as always please drink responsibly.





From the Magic Hat website


  • TYPE: Dark Mild
  • YEAST: English Ale
  • HOPS: Northern Brewer
  • MALTS: 2-Row Pale, Maris Otter Pale, Chocolate, Victory, Cara 45L, Special B
  • ABV: 4.2
  • GRAVITY: null Plato
  • BITTERNESS: 15
  • SRM: 24.0
  • AVAILABILITY: January 15 to March 31


As temperatures rise, the fever follows. A portable celebration of unbridled vernal joy, this thawing mixer serves to stir you from winter slumber. Listen as the Rockin' Robin sings spring into all things... Ca-Caw! Ca-Caw!

No comments:

Post a Comment