Sunday, March 18, 2012

3/18/12 Toegs Troegenator Double Bock Beer

So last night even with my stuffed nose I powered through and did another review. I also have been toying around with the idea of trying to go to a brewery a week and do a review of a beer and post pictures I take from the tour. Next week I am going to try and get out to my hometown brewery of Yuengling on Tuesday and then hopefully hits Troegs the following week or the week after based on what I can fit into my schedule. Last night the beer I chose was given to me by a colleague who was just down at the Troegs brewery and picked me up a Troegs Trogenator Double Bock. The beer had a temperature of 41.6 degrees and an average head size at 2 1/2 inches with a fizzy light brown head appearance. The head lacing was excellent with a slow dissipation and soft carbonation. The clarity was dark with red color and a honey barley taste and aroma that I could tell was fantastic but needed my wife's nose to place it without having my full capabilities. The flavor was moderate and the finish length long. The mouth feel was watery with a back tongue hit and excellent body lacing. Overall I would give it an A- only because I could tell how fantastic it was without my nose at 100% but from what I could taste I loved it and look forward to trying another when my senses are at 100%. Thanks for reading and as always drink responsibly.





Recipe of the Day
This one is a little lacking but it is fantastic
Take 1/4 cup of the salsa from the last recipe and mix it with 1/2 cup cooked black beans, 1 cup cooked brown rice and 1/2 cup cooked corn with together and heat in microwave for 2 minutes. Absolutely fantastic.

Fitness tip of the day.
Two daily morning stretches have been really helping out my back issues one I do seated in a chair with quads parallel to the floor and calves perpendicular to the floor grab your feet with opposite hands with your thumbs on top of the foot and fingers on the bottom and hold for a couple of minutes (I usually do 2-3). I'll write the other stretch next time when I have more time to write it out.

Nutritional information from myfitnesspal.com


Troegs - Troegenator Doublebock Beer

  1.   
Calories250Sodium0 mg
Total Fat0 gPotassium0 mg
Saturated0 gTotal Carbs20 g
Polyunsaturated0 gDietary Fiber0 g
Monounsaturated0 gSugars3 g
Trans0 gProtein2 g
Cholesterol0 mg
Vitamin A0%Calcium0%
Vitamin C0%Iron0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.


Information from Troegs web site


Troegenator® Double Bock

Alcohol by Volume: 8.2%
Hop Bitterness (IBUs): 25
Color (SRM): Bronze
Availability: Year Round
Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Hallertau, Saaz
Yeast: Lager

TASTING NOTES

The Troegenator Double Bock, is a dark, strong lager (8.2% abv). It pours into a glass with a bronze to brown color, fluffy white head and bready malt aroma. The Troegenator leaves a rich, warming feeling and subtle spicy flavors. The style, Double Bock, dates back a century or so ago. During periods of fasting without solid foods, the Monastic brewers relied on the double bock; a stronger, richer beer to fulfill their basic nutritional needs. Known to them as "liquid bread," a double bock has a strong malt aroma and chewy rich body. Traditionally these brewers ended the name of their double bock with the suffix "ator", ex. Celabrator, Illuminator, Subliminator... In the spirit of the tradition we give you the Troegenator to provide warmth and richness through the early spring months. A double bock of epic proportions, beware, the Troegenator is deceiving smooth and delicious.

FOOD COMPLIMENTS

Since Troegenator is a big beer, it is perfect with big beef—like grilled steaks and stews. It can also serve as a nice compliment to sweet, non-chocolate based desserts.
Serving Suggestions:
Temp: 45-50 ° F  Glassware:  Pint Glass or Dimpled Mug

No comments:

Post a Comment