About Me

My photo

Former editor in chief of an award winning publication, avid outdoorsman, love hiking, kayaking, fishing, biking, visiting state parks, published writer, avid drinker, certified bartender, beer rater and I ran a bar tending school, and blogger writing under title of the Man Can Critic 

Thursday, January 12, 2012

1/11/12 Harpoon Chocolate Stout

So I have traded so many beers with a decent number of people now and I got a 6 pack of Harpoon's Winter Variety Pack a couple of days ago from a colleague at work and a fellow beer fanatic.  So last night even though it was late and I was tired I felt the need to make sure I sat down and had one. So I've been having a good bit of chocolate beers and decided to have the Harpoon Chocolate Stout.  It came in at a nice temperature of 43.5 degrees with a large 2 1/2" head. The head was fizzy and dark in appearance with excellent head lacing. The head dissipated slowly with soft carbonation. The body clarity was dark and with a black color and chocolate aroma and taste. The flavor was light with an average finish length and a creamy mouth feel. The tongue hit was in the front with excellent head lacing. Overall I would rate this beer an A-. I haven't had a chocolate beer I haven't liked yet and it had a very cool pour that almost looked like it was a nitrogen beer and it was super dark and had the strongest chocolate taste I had ever had in a beer. So I thought oh this should be good with a banana. Bad, bad idea it did nothing for the taste of either and I think made the end a little bitter. Thanks for reading and as always please drink responsibly.





Information from Harpoon website


Chocolate Stout - Limited Edition

Print this page  |  
BEER SPECIFICATIONS
Style:Chocolate Stout
History:
brewed since 2008
(limited edition)
Orig. Gravity: 16 P
Color: 190 EBC
ABV:
5.9%
IBU’S: 40
PAIRING SUGGESTIONS

sweet desserts, fresh strawberries
ABOUT THE STYLE

A chocolate stout is a beer with a noticeable dark chocolate flavor. This flavor is created from the use of darker, more aromatic malt that has been roasted or kilned until it acquires a chocolate color.

BEER CHARACTER

Harpoon Chocolate Stout is brewed with an abundance of chocolate malt and a touch of chocolate.  
AVAILABILITY 

 
Available in Harpoon Wintry Mix Pack
(November - January)
 Harpoon Wintry Mix Pack

Other beers in package:

No comments:

Post a Comment