Friday, December 23, 2011

12/22/11 New Holland The Poet Oatmeal Stout

So I have had a beer out of all the variety packs that were here and there in my house except from New Holland. I was wrapping up my home made variety packs for Christmas yesterday and figured I better try one before I wrap them all up. So I decided to try The Poet oatmeal stout from New Holland (available at Brewer's Outlet in Pottsville). It had a warmer temperature at 46.4 degrees and an ABV of 5.2%. The head was large for the pint glass I had it in at 3" with a frothy medium brown appearance. The head lacing was good with a slow dissipation and soft carbonation. The body clarity was dark with a black color and an aroma and taste of a roasted chocolate and espresso. The flavor was moderate with an average finish length and a creamy mouth feel. The tongue hit was towards the middle and the body lacing was excellent. Overall it was a pretty good dark beer which I'm growing to enjoy more and more with each different one I have. I'd put this one as a B+ in the dark beer category. The bottle is cool and reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe and has lots of good information. It has the ABV, two websites, and pairings which is the first time I've every seen on a bottle. Hope you enjoyed reading and as always drink responsibly.





Pairing information from bottle: mushrooms, beef, blooming soft ripened cheeses, and chocolate

Information from New Holland Website

The Poet has a rich, smooth malt character enveloped in tones of roast and chocolate. A soft mouth-feel brings luxurious flavors and soothing aroma. Any time of year, The Poet is as versatile as it is delicious. It pairs wonderfully with earthy flavors such as mushrooms and beef, while remaining the perfect accent to any chocolate dessert.
15° Plato, Alc. 5.2% by Vol.
Last Shipped:
Ongoing
Estimated Next Ship:
Ongoing
Availability:

No comments:

Post a Comment