Thursday, December 29, 2011

12/28/11 Sun Dog Amber Ale by New Holland Brewery

So I start my mini vacation of the next six days off so hopefully I'll get some drinking accomplished and get back on task with writing more often. I looked at the stats for the blog and I was really surprised at the number of people who have visited it the past to days. Hopefully you'll enjoy the new posts I have been doing. I know a lot of the recent beers aren't as main stream but I always say you got to expand you horizons if you ever want to find something truly great. So last night after a decent night at work and a crappy morning finding out one of my pipes in the basement came apart I decided to reward myself with a different New Holland beer. I figured that the Sun Dog Amber Ale (purchased in a variety pack from Brewer's Outlet in Pottsville my favorite place to pick up beer) would be good to go with my chips and salsa because one of the suggested pairing on the bottle was tomatoes. It had a good temperature at 38.9 degrees and an average to large head size at 2 1/2" with a frothy off-white appearance. The head lacing was excellent and the head dissipated slowly. The carbonation was medium with a hazy orange clarity and color. The beer smelt good with a citrus and caramel mixture but the taste wasn't the best with what I call a burnt nutty caramel flavor. The flavor was heavy with a long finish that had a buttery mouth feel. The tongue hit was in the back and the body lacing was good. Overall I would say it was a B to B-. At first as I started drinking it I thought it was a pretty decent beer and I was going to rate it an A-. It was certainly something different but it was hard to finish and the flavor did the opposite of growing on me. It just made me not want to finish it more and more as I got to the bottom of the glass. Alas some might disagree but that is this writers opinion and for now I'm sticking with it. Thanks for reading and as always drink responsibly.





Information from New Holland Brewery website (it doesn't say tomatoes on their website but I could have sworn it said tomatoes on the bottle)

Sundog is an amber ale that emulates the copper glow of a Lake Michigan sunset. A showcase for caramel malt,
Sundog presents a toasty character, with subtle malty sweetness and a nutty finish. Sundog brings out the best in
grilled foods, caramelized onions, medium-bodied cheeses, barbecue, or your favorite pizza.
13° Plato, Alc. 6.0% by Vol.
Last Shipped:
Ongoing
Estimated Next Ship:
Ongoing
Availability:










Nutritional information from myfitnessplan.com

New Holland - Sun Dog Amber Ale

  1.   
Calories180Sodium0 mg
Total Fat0 gPotassium0 mg
Saturated0 gTotal Carbs0 g
Polyunsaturated0 gDietary Fiber0 g
Monounsaturated0 gSugars0 g
Trans0 gProtein0 g
Cholesterol0 mg  
Vitamin A0%Calcium0%
Vitamin C0%Iron0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment