About Me

My photo

Former editor in chief of an award winning publication, avid outdoorsman, love hiking, kayaking, fishing, biking, visiting state parks, published writer, avid drinker, certified bartender, beer rater and I ran a bar tending school, and blogger writing under title of the Man Can Critic 

Saturday, November 12, 2011

11/12/11 Flying Dog K-9 Cruiser Winter Ale

So I traded some beers and got some Flying Dog beers. I tried out my first Flying Dog beer the K-9 Cruiser. It was in a 12oz. Bottle and came it a 40 degree temp. The head was average at 2 inches and it was light brown and foamy. The head lacing was excellent and dissipated slowly. The ale had little carbonation with a hazy body and a ruby color. The ale had a citrus/ floral aroma and a caramel taste. It had a moderate flavor that was moderately bitter. The finish length was average and left my mouth feeling watery. The beer hit my tongue in the back and it had a good body lacing. I tried pairing it with a couple of things. Chocolate almonds worked the best out of all my choices but they did not taste as good as they did with the chocolate lager. I also tried it with a peppermint stick which was average at best. The main food that I paired it with a vegan dish I found on the internet and tweaked slightly. Overall I would say the beer was okay and I would rate it at a B- just not something I was crazy about but that is just me. Also remember your can opener because its not a twist off.
The recipe for the vegan dish is as follows which was good but not one of my favorite vegan dishes.
6 baby bells chopped
1 half white onion chopped
1 1/2 oz. baby spinach
3 small cloves garlic
1 boil in bag of brown rice

Cook onions and garlic with EVOO for 1-2 minutes on medium heat then add mushroom for 1-2 minutes and the add spinach for another 1-2 minutes and lastly add cooked rice for another 2 minutes. I recommend cooking the rice while chopping and preparing everything else.




Information from Flying Dog Brewery Web Site
ABV: 7.4%
Availability: Winter Release
Bitterness: 30 IBU
Plato: 16
Hops: Millennium, US Saaz
Yeast: English Ale

Food Pairing suggested by Flying Dog
If it takes like Christmas, it pardonably works with K-9.
Flavor notes: Sweet malt base with roasted, nutty, and spicy flavors.
Pairs with: Buttery cheeses; sweet breads; spice cake; squash, yams, and sweet potatoes; hearty meats and stews.

No comments:

Post a Comment