Saturday, November 12, 2011

11/12/11 Flying Dog K-9 Cruiser Winter Ale

So I traded some beers and got some Flying Dog beers. I tried out my first Flying Dog beer the K-9 Cruiser. It was in a 12oz. Bottle and came it a 40 degree temp. The head was average at 2 inches and it was light brown and foamy. The head lacing was excellent and dissipated slowly. The ale had little carbonation with a hazy body and a ruby color. The ale had a citrus/ floral aroma and a caramel taste. It had a moderate flavor that was moderately bitter. The finish length was average and left my mouth feeling watery. The beer hit my tongue in the back and it had a good body lacing. I tried pairing it with a couple of things. Chocolate almonds worked the best out of all my choices but they did not taste as good as they did with the chocolate lager. I also tried it with a peppermint stick which was average at best. The main food that I paired it with a vegan dish I found on the internet and tweaked slightly. Overall I would say the beer was okay and I would rate it at a B- just not something I was crazy about but that is just me. Also remember your can opener because its not a twist off.
The recipe for the vegan dish is as follows which was good but not one of my favorite vegan dishes.
6 baby bells chopped
1 half white onion chopped
1 1/2 oz. baby spinach
3 small cloves garlic
1 boil in bag of brown rice

Cook onions and garlic with EVOO for 1-2 minutes on medium heat then add mushroom for 1-2 minutes and the add spinach for another 1-2 minutes and lastly add cooked rice for another 2 minutes. I recommend cooking the rice while chopping and preparing everything else.




Information from Flying Dog Brewery Web Site
ABV: 7.4%
Availability: Winter Release
Bitterness: 30 IBU
Plato: 16
Hops: Millennium, US Saaz
Yeast: English Ale

Food Pairing suggested by Flying Dog
If it takes like Christmas, it pardonably works with K-9.
Flavor notes: Sweet malt base with roasted, nutty, and spicy flavors.
Pairs with: Buttery cheeses; sweet breads; spice cake; squash, yams, and sweet potatoes; hearty meats and stews.

No comments:

Post a Comment