About Me

My photo

Former editor in chief of an award winning publication, avid outdoorsman, love hiking, kayaking, fishing, biking, visiting state parks, published writer, avid drinker, certified bartender, beer rater and I ran a bar tending school, and blogger writing under title of the Man Can Critic 

Thursday, November 3, 2011

11/2/11 Saranac Vanilla Stout

Let me start out by saying this beer really surprised me. I came home from a long day at work and figured I hadn't drank in a while and I have been itching to try the vanilla stout in my fridge since Monday so I figured this would be a great night. I would have never guessed that a vanilla and chocolate beer that was as black as night would be this good. I was reading the pairing and it said good with chocolate so I got some of my candy leftovers from Dorko's and tried it and it is good with chocolate. This beer is another one of the beers of winter that I got from Pottsville Brewers' Outlet last week for $27.49 + tax. Dr. J has been sampling the other half of the sampler and got my excited about the ones I haven't tried. This beer was the coldest that I have had out of the sampler coming in at 37 degrees. The head was medium to dark and was above average at 3 inches. It had a slow dissipation on the foamy head with excellent head lacing. The body was as black as night and super dark. I mean this beer puts Guinness to shame. It has an espresso smell mixed with some vanilla. I really thought it was going to have a more bitter taste but it didn't. The flavor was moderate and not hugely overpowering. It has a long finish leaving my mouth watery. The body lacing is good to excellent and it hits your tongue in the front. I would have to say this is probably my favorite beer out of the variety pack so far. Mostly because it is so different and so unexpected. I mean I was totally thinking this was going to taste way different. Overall I have to give it an A- basically because I have to be blown away and I still think I can find better beers out there than this but this definitely ranks up there among my top beers that I have had the pleasure of ingesting. Thanks for reading and as always drink responsibly. Also remember your can opener because its not a twist off.



Information that I got from Saranac website.


Vanilla Stout

Availability: 12 Beers of Winter 2011

Brewers Notes:

Few ingredients rival vanilla's ability to add richness and roundness to food.  Blended with a traditional blend of caramel and chocolate malts plus roasted barley, the result in Saranac Vanilla Stout will surpass your expectations.  Enjoy the brew on it's own or with a bite of dark chocolate for a real treat.

Beer Style: Flavored Sweet Stout
Malt Selections: 2 Row, Chocolate Malt
Hop Selections: Willamette
Color: Black
Mouthfeel / Body: Full Body, Sweet
Food Companions: Dark Chocolate, Fruit Desserts
Alcohol By Volume: 4.8%
Original Gravity: 14


medium

No comments:

Post a Comment