About Me

My photo

Former editor in chief of an award winning publication, avid outdoorsman, love hiking, kayaking, fishing, biking, visiting state parks, published writer, avid drinker, certified bartender, beer rater and I ran a bar tending school, and blogger writing under title of the Man Can Critic 

Saturday, November 5, 2011

11/4/11 Sam Adams Black and Brew

So I tried the Black and Brew by Sam Adams that I got over at Brewers' Outlet Pottsville today. It is part of the Winter Classics Variety pack and replaced the Cranberry Lambic. This is the first coffee flavored beer that I have had and I must say I really enjoy the coffee flavoring. I will say that I am not a big coffee drinker but this is something different with a very smooth taste. I had this dark mistress of winter from a 12 oz bottle poured into a pilsener glass. It has an average head size coming in at about 2 inches and had a 33.5 degree temperature in the bottle. The head is foamy and medium brown and has excellent lacing. The body is even darker than the vanilla stout I had a couple days ago I put it up to the light I couldn't see through it at all. It has a coffee aroma and a coffee taste with hints of caramel and chocolate. It has a moderate flavor and an average finish length that hits the middle of the tongue. Overall I would rate this beer an A-. It is something different with a great coffee taste and a moderate bite that really adds something to it. I also had some with dutch chocolate ice cream and I will say that they were excellent together. As always thanks for reading and drink responsibly. Also remember your can opener because its not a twist off.
Additional Information:
ABV: 5.8%
Pairing info from Beer Advocate
Cuisine (Barbecue) Cheese (buttery; Brie, Gouda, Havarti, Swiss, earthy; Camembert, Fontina) General (Chocolate, Dessert) Meat (Beef, Shellfish, Smoked Meat, Game, Grilled Meat


Additional information from Sam Adams web site
Flavor:Full bodied and rich with a roasted coffee note. Finishes with underlying hints of sweetness of chocolate, caramel, & dark fruit.
Color: Deep black, 80 SRM
Original Gravity: 15.6° Plato
Alcohol by Vol/Wt: 5.8% ABV - 4.5%ABW
Calories/12 oz.: 208
IBUs: 24
Malt Varieties: Two-row Harrington, Metcalf, and Copeland pale malts, Special B, Roasted Barley
Hop Varieties: East Kent Goldings
Yeast Strain: Samuel Adams ale yeast
Availability: Seasonal as part of Winter Classics Variety Pack
First Brewed: 2011

Pairing recommendations from Sam Adams:
smokey bbq and just about any chocolate desert


No comments:

Post a Comment